1. Eliminate gossip from your life, especially around kids.
2. Eliminate all negative, hurtful words from your vocabulary. Express angry feelings directly: 'I'm angry at you because______ or "I feel hurt because _____"
3. Send emails to TV shows that use humiliation as entertainment such as AFHV, Punk'd, Bloopers and Practical Jokes and express your concern regarding the effect their shows are having on all of us, especially kids.
4. Create an environment around you in which you only use positive words and only allow yourself to hear positive words. Avoid people who focus on the negative traits of others.
5. Teach your kids that all bullying starts from the same place: your brain, Because all bullying starts with a thought. So, watch your thoughts. Thoughts can be changed. If you find yourself thinking a negative thought about someone, change that thought. You'll be amazed how much better YOU will feel, let alone the other person. AND...
Be slow to anger; be patient; be compassionate. We have to be the ones who send the message that it is no longer acceptable to allow kids to witness adults using hurtful and harmful behavior with each other. We are their role models. We have to do our part. Once we do our part it will be a lot easier to help them. But kids today can too easily say, " I see adults hurt and humiliate each other all the time. So, what's so bad about it?" Is this what we want kids to think? That it's ok to treat people like that because we see adults do it all the time?
Please share this with anyone you think might benefit from it. Thank you.